- Do not go into your wallet or purse in front of the panhandlers.
- Acknowledge a panhandler with a nod and answer the request for money by saying “no”, then walk away. Don’t get angry or feel guilty.
- You may also choose not to speak to the panhandler at all, which is okay as long as you have a well thought out plan on how you will conduct yourself in maintaining your confidence during this situation.
ANYONE WHO FEELS THREATENED, OR INTIMIDATED SHOULD CALL THE POLICE
- Give the description of the panhandler
- Location of occurrence
- Time of occurrence
- Direction of travel (with vehicle description of possible)
- Be willing to assist police with prosecution if necessary